Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Larapinta Trail (oh, and RSS feeds too...)

I’ve just learned how to attach some RSS feeds to my blog, which is pretty exciting, though the ones I’ve chosen are a bit ho-hum. Are there RSS feeds from a bushwalking site, is the question on everybody’s lips. I will hunt about.

I also uploaded a photo from Flickr (the shot of Mt Sonder, see below), but to be honest it feels a bit tacky taking a stranger’s photo, so I won’t be doing any more of that.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I include a photo taken from the Larapinta Trail in central Australia, by my friend Janice Hughes. Walking out there you really notice the quality of the air, and the light: dry and crisp. The Larapinta Trail was only recently opened to walkers (2002), and my friends and I did it the easier way, a supported walk with Shane Fewtrell’s Alice Springs-based company, Treklarapinta. (www.treklarapinta.com.au) . Sleeping every one of those eight nights in a swag under a starry sky was very special, and I plan on going back for more of that.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

It isn't tacky uploading someone's image from Flickr provided you give them credit. Uploading someone's image from Flickr allows other people to discover that image and to track back through the link to see other images by the same photographer. It is like introducing someone to part of an art gallery they have not seen before and may not have discovered without your help. Great images.

Ellen (PLS)

Frank and Sue said...

Agree with Ellen re Flickr photo's. As long as they are properly credited under creative commons all is OK AND a nice acknowledgement to the photographer that their work is appreciated.

I have used a few on our Hiking Blog to give my post readers some great pictures I would NEVER be able to take