Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wikis, and a backward glance to Rss feeds.

Forgetting about bushwalking just for a minute (oh no!) I want to record the fact that I've completed Week 5 of the Library2 course, on Wikis.
Wikipedia is quite a revolutionary notion, really, in a world still governed, at least externally, by authoritarian hierarchies. I'm relieved to read that it boasts a high rate of accuracy, and there are some checks and balances. I loved the Book Lovers Wiki at Princeton Public Library, though of course as it's discontinued I won't add a feed to my blog. Wookieepedia was fun, but Star Wars is all a bit of a yawn for me.
The State Library of Tassie site was a beauty. And Library Thing is a creative idea that I'll continue to visit. I've signed in, and added a few of my own books to a list which will grow in time.
So how might our library use wikis?
1. We already have our Readers in the Mist place for readers to place book reviews.
2.Heidi is designing a wiki for the Book Chains we've launched.
3. We can also put the monthly roundup of What the Staff are Reading, on a wiki.
Today, some of us at Blue Mts library had an intensive hour of help with some of these concepts, and I can't tell you how valuable that is! I understand the process, now, of linking other sites to my blog, as RSS feeds or blog links.

No comments: